 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2835
Re: Old Parts in Legend Sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:11:25 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Gary Istok writes:
I will be curious when the Guarded Inn arrives in July.  Will it have
the old style minifig heads with no open top?  Or the newer style with
the hole on top with what looks like the Mercedes emblem over the hole.
I tend to think that the Legend sets will have today's parts, whenever
they have changed over the years.  I would assume that any Legend set
with 1x1 round bricks will likewise NOT have the full stud like they
used to make in the 1970's, but the modern top with the hole.  After all
these are what (in coin collecting circles) are called "RESTRIKES",
namely a modern copy of an old item.  I would also not expect to find
the older type 2x2 windows (1970s-80s), but to find the more modern
1990's type 2x2 window.  It will be interesting.

Here's some set's I'd like to see produced once again:

6390 Main Street (is that a Cypress tree hiding behind the building??).
396 Thatcher Perkins (already mentioned)
384/760 London Bus (never been a small set with sooooo many classic
windows).
398 U.S.S. Constellation (already mentioned by someone else).
375/6075 Yellow Castle - need I say why?
7740 Intercity Train.

I can't think of any others at the moment, but I will......

Gary Istok

I agree about the reproductions of some of these sets, however, 6075 should
be updated in my humble opinion.  I don't care so much for the old style
helms and visors on the old mounted knights, the newer style is far more
durable and period accurate.  And I never did care much for stickers on
mini-figures, as they show wear easier.  Update the Yellow Castle with new
Great Helms/Bucket Helms, change the overall color from Yellow to Grey and
Dark Grey, add a brown, black, white and grey horse with appropriate saddles
and print the shields and armor like current Castle figures (or do away with
the stickers) and it suddenly becomes new and improved!!!!!
Then, I suppose, it is not a Legends set anymore.  Is it?
6075 was a good set, but I like the Crusaders, Black Knight's, Dark Forest
and Black Falcons better.  That is, as I've said, my humble opinion.
As far as the original 6075 goes, all parts are still in production (though
not proper colors) with the exception of the old helmets, visors, 1x1
windows, and sticker sheets.
Play well,
-Aaron-