 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2531
Re: Mata-nui problems and some Mac stuff (was Re: Bionicle.com updated!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 07:43:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Matthew Gerber writes:
Oops...actually, I meant to say that I believe it is a cookie problem with
the stalling...does anyone else have ideas?

I don't believe it's a cookie problem as AFAIK the Mata Nui site doesn't use
cookies. However, we have noticed that certain browsers are extremely slow
while "saving the game," and some also seem to get hung up on loading some
of the game files. The new area of the island *is* completely playable, and
you *can* cure the sickness in Po-Koro -- I just did it from home off my
dialup connection. The problem that Ian Constable mentions here
(http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=437) is similar, a hang-up
caused by an incomplete load. It's more along the lines of a communication
problem between individual users' browsers and the server. The system that
autosaves your position on Mata Nui from a Flash web page is very cool but
not quite your run-of-the-mill website technology.

We're going to look into improving the speed, etc. but here's how you can
work around the problem in the meantime:
  1. Play without saving your game, using the "PLAY NOW" option when you
first enter the site. If you're already logged in you'll have to log out at
https://club.lego.com/ -- this means you'll have to play from the beginning,
and won't be able to save your place, but if you just want to play the
Po-Koro quests, save the villagers in Ga-Koro quickly and proceed. The game
runs much faster without the save-game function, as people have pointed out.
  2. Use Internet Explorer on Windows. I know that's not very helpful, but
that browser seems to have little or no problem gliding through the game
saves and so forth. I haven't tested extensively on Linux, but Macs and
Netscape both seem to be having some difficulty.
  3. If you hit a snag, reload until it goes away. You *can* get it to go
away, and you won't lose your position in the game -- that's stored safely
in our database under your username. If you talk to a Tohunga, for instance,
and get a blank dialogue box, just hit reload. If the same thing happens
again, empty your browser cache and reload. If it still happens, try
quitting and restarting the browser. In most cases what's happened is that
your browser hasn't fully loaded the dialogue file, so you'll have to force
it to fetch a new copy of that file from the server. In some cases this may
even happen if you don't have game-saving turned on. You can also try using
a different browser -- since your save-game is stored on our servers, you
can go to any computer, log in, and resume where you left off.

Hope that helps. Good luck vs. Nui-Jaga.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct