 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2201
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:05:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
Before we get too spun up we ought to hear from Todd on what the problem
this new posting restriction is solving actually is.

What may have confused people is if they were looking to some existing
problem that this is supposed to be solving.  It's actually not about
solving a problem.  It's about avoiding dilution of what the community is.

LUGNET discussion groups were founded for fans to talk to other fans.  The
LEGO Company isn't a fan -- it is a business, and its purpose in life is to
sell products and make money.  It doesn't talk like fans, it doesn't think
like fans, and it isn't _part of_ the community it spawned, no matter how
seductive it may be to believe that.

In other words, this isn't about clarifying whether or not a given post is
official or unofficial -- it's about making sure that official LEGO Company
business simply stays within the ordained areas.  This fits exactly with
what we discussed with Brad Justus last year after the massive high-traffic
threads in the .dear-lego group.  I'm almost positive that we did not
discuss LEGO employees posting to the community outside of the special
lugnet.lego.* area.  LEGO doesn't need to be able to conduct business in the
theme groups and other groups in order to maintain a presence here and
communicate with its consumers.

We still welcome LEGO here -- that has never changed -- it just became
apparent yesterday that we would need to reassert and reclarify the
boundaries.  If LEGO officially has issues with these boundaries, they know
how to use the telephone.

--Todd