 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1718
1717  |  1719
Subject:
Some New Town Windows (like Minitalia) would be nice!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 20:30:15 GMT

Dear Lego Direct,

Here is a reprint of a thread (from LUGNET.GENERAL) on Minitalia, the
LEGO sub-brand from Italy in the 1970's (and 1980's?).  LEGO made some
neat Minitalia windows (only sold in Italy) that would be great in the
North American market.
Here goes:
I too am not sure about Minitalia's original date, but they were around
as early
as 1972, if not earlier.  But there are a few things that I think that
LEGO used
in Minitalia that later became common in regular LEGO.  One is the 1x4x3
window.
They used a slightly different version (with the small mullioned
windows), but the
green shutters and the shutter attachments may be identical to those
that came at
least 5 years later in regular LEGO.  The 1x6x3 Minitalia window is
almost
identical to the 1x6x3 classic large window, but there are 13 window
panes in the
Minitalia version.  I love the Minitalia windows, they are like the old
fashioned
USA style real life  windows that can be found in old colonial American
architecture.  A couple dozen of these Minitalia style windows, and you
can build
your own "Norman Rockwell" old style village (like Stockbridge
Massachusetts).

If LEGO ever gives the Town folks some variety in window designs, then
the
Minitalia windows would be an excellent place to start.

For me these small mullioned windows (called "6 over 6" or "12 over 12"
in the building trade in the USA) make a great architectural statement.
Right now I can create these mullioned windows using 6-12 of the
individual 1x1 small classic windows.  But not many people have hundreds
of these like I do.  These multipaned windows, like those used in
Minitalia, or the individual 1x1 classic windows, would be a great
addition to Town.

Gary Istok