 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1632
Re: LEGO website bug report: can't read scrolling text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:26:53 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeromy Irvine writes:
I completely agree with the other posts here. LEGO needs to hire a web
designer, not a magazine designer. Whoever is doing the site seems to be
forgetting that they are designing for an interactive medium that is,
ultimately, interpreted to the user by their browser. It's not a fixed
page like you have in print - you have to give the user something that
they can actually use! We're not READERS, we're USERS - see the
distinction? Thanks.

Ahh...I love it when I see people make comments like this.  I need to show this
thread to the higher ups here at my company.

I have been doing web design for the past 6 years.  I love it and I always
stick with the basics.  I can make a site look great without throwing a flash
show or moving text.  If I feel it needs that feature then I will use it but
ONLY if it need the feature to help people navigate through the site.  (i.e.
FLASH...never really needed but looks great if you want a fun site with games
and user interactivity. You should be shot if you put a 500k+ Flash show at
the beginning of your site with no way around it.)

Ed