 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1172
Re: in USA too (was: Re: LEGO Direct in Europe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:53:56 GMT

"Eric McCarthy" <eric@reasoning.com> wrote in message
Horst,
Thanks for a good description of the website problems.
Your comments apply equally well to the USA website.

I also completed one order, enduring the javascript
menu loading.

However, a coworker of mine told me today that he
tried to order an RIS from the website over the
weekend, and he said "this was the worst designed
ecommerce site I have seen for a long time."
Not only were the menus extremely slow to load,
but
(1) he didn't see any check box to make the
shipping address and billing address the same,
so he had to enter the address twice.
(2) he couldn't find anywhere to order his free
spy runner plane (with $75 order)
(3) on the final order screen, there was a button
"print this order", which he clicked on, and which
crashed his browser.

Not only that, but the "wishlist" feature is sorely lacking in terms
of what I expect from a web wishlist, in particular:

The wishlist should be linkable, so others can see your wishlist, and
order items directly from the site.  I shudder to think about my
dad following the generic http://shop.lego.com/ link and trying to
find the items from my wishlist (note: non-LEGO people really have
no idea about set numbers, etc.).  Worse yet, there is no feature to
keep track of how *many* of each set I want, and how many have
been ordered for me from the wishlist...

LEGO Direct, you need to take a few minutes to step back and *look*
at your e-commerce site vs. the "best of breed" sites like Amazon, eToys,
travelocity, etc.  The on-line shopping experience of shop.lego.com is only
marginally
better than the on-line shopping experience at www.ibm.com/shop!  And if
the good LEGO sets (read: complex Technic sets, technic parts packs,
sculptures, etc.) were available in the stores, this is the *one* case where
I would prefer to go to a store than purchase on-line (usually, the on-line
experience so dramatically simplifies life that I've almost given up
shopping
in the real world...

Don't get me wrong!  I'd rather have what is there now than nothing, given
the difficulty of getting good sets from stores, but I would *rather* have
something
better, and the difficulty of doing a good e-commerce site is not all that
much greater
than the difficulty of doing a bad one...

Thanks!
-Peter