 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1173
1172  |  1174
Subject:
2001 40 years LEGO in USA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:11:36 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear TLC and LEGO Direct,

2001 will be the 40th Anniversary of LEGO in the USA.  And 2002 will be
the 40th Anniversary of LEGO in Canada.  Is TLC planning on any
anniversary celebrations?  The reason I ask is because back in 1998 TLC
celebrated 25 years LEGO in USA (sound confusing???) with the
Anniversary bucket (and silver brick).  Well that meant only that TLC
was responsible for USA LEGO since 1973, when they took over from
Samsonite (the USA LEGO lisencee).  Does this mean that TLC doesn't
count the 1961-72 years for LEGO in the USA?  Because if that is so (and
here it gets really confusing), back in 1987 Canada celebrated 25 years
of LEGO, even though Samsonite sold LEGO there from 1962-86.  I was on
THE JOURNAL, a Canadian news program whose topic was 25 years of LEGO in
Canada, and guess who was also on that show ...... Peter Eio --
USA/Canada LEGO President (and member of the Executive Board of TLC in
Billund Denmark).

So 1) when does TLC start your year counts, and 2) are you planning any
2001/2002 celebrations or anniversary sets.

Gary Istok

"In the beginning..... there was Town...."