 LEGO Company / 472
Re: Please tell me it's not this...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 06:39:59 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Terry Prosper writes:
Ok, we've all seen these pages.  If not, here's a link:

http://brickset.com/search.aspx?SubTheme=Hockey

Now, my question is...  LEGO announced that NHL and LEGO had an agreement to
make a series about hockey.  That was greeted with enthusiasm by most hockey
and LEGO fan, especially since the Soccer and basketball sets were so great.
Will LEGO release some quality sets with minifigs, hockey rink, a playing
mechanisn and everything just as for soccer and basketball or are those
bionicle-like cheap-technic sets what we will get?

Personally, I don't believe they will bring out both NHL "minifig" sets
and NBA "minifig" sets at the same time because both are "similar" products.

I personally don't know the licensing particualrs with both sports leagues,
and don't know the specifics of each, so there maybe a chance in the near
future LEGO will come out with minifig hockey sets, but IMO, those sets
would be hard to come out looking realistic and still be profitable in the
long run.

As far as the NHL sets go, I think they are an "eye sore", but that is
entirely my opinion, (and I haven't voted yet, so my opinion hasn't
made it to there).  There may be a very nice playability to it, but
I think the overall look (certainly in my case) prevents me from
purchasing these sets.

But as they say, to each his own.  (I am probably not the (NHL) line's
target market, even though I have lived in Canada most of my life, and
despite the fact the NHL hockey is one of the sports I am a big fan of).

Just my opinion on the issue at hand,

Benjamin Medinets