 LEGO Company / 3046
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:33:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

<snip>

I’d like to think LEGO will pull through, and I’ll do what I can to help that. Like not trashing the company every single chance I get.

I just want to make one thing clear. Merely because I have a gripe about a particular decision made by TLC, that doesn’t mean I am throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. I love LEGO bricks, and I have a high regard for LEGO as a company. I think it is the best “toy” on earth and that ever was created. I think the world would be a better place if more kids grew up playing with LEGO instead of much of the other things that kids do today. I could go on and on singing the praises of LEGO. I believe in the LEGO System and I am not afraid to steer anyone into the fold.

Now, having said all of that, I also don’t believe that TLC is perfect. Big surprise. So, when they made a bad decision IMO I am going to speak up, because I care. I believe this is all a part of engaging in a dialog with TLC. I’m not going to constantly blow smoke up their proverbial who-ha, because that is counterproductive and accomplishes nothing. I pledge to be honest with them, and that is all I expect in return.

I realize plans change, etc, etc. All I am saying is that I’d rather not hear anything from TLC at all unless it is a slam dunk or it is portrayed as a possibility rather than a sure thing. You can’t say “This is your last chance to buy Maersk blue bricks” if there actually IS a chance, however slim. Even if they had said, “this could possibly be the last we ever see of Maersk blue bricks as we have no plans to create that color again”-- then it would be caveat emptor for collectors and resellers and I would have no gripes whatsoever.

I have no illusions that TLC owes me anything, but when they go out of their way to tell me something and then purposefully contradict themselves, I am left feeling wronged, and I think it’s bad form and beneath TLC.

So, in a way, I believe I am helping TLC by 1. suggesting ways to rectify a bad situation, and 2. providing constructive criticism for policies and marketing strategies that I think should be avoided in the future.

My intentions were certainly not to merely “trash the company”, but to help it become better, and that’s good for everyone. (with the possible exception of the clones;-)

JOHN

John,

You’re a business owner, we all know you do much of the shirts for the clubs and Brickfest. Let me pose a question. What if you made a “special edition” Lego-based T-shirt for some club or big event. Say the group wanting the shirts told you to make 200 shirts, and that’s it. The shirt is so popular, it sells out in 4 hours. Some people got multiple shirts (maybe so they could sell them at a premium profit later), some didn’t get any. Those who didn’t get any get very upset and complain to the group that made the shirt. The group caves in to customers, and requests you to make more to satisfy the general public, but they don’t have enough money to make any changes to the design at all--they’ve managed to get just enough to make the shirts.

You’re a businessman...do you take the money and satisfy the customer, or do you deny that group that’s waving money in your face? Or...do you take a hit and work with them, and change the design slightly with a bit of loss to you and your business? What if you couldn’t afford to take the small hit in profit to change the shirt?

I understand your passion for the brick, believe me. I’ve noticed that much of the people here who make comments about things are so passionate about Lego that sometimes they are too close to the forest to see the trees. Questions and solutions may be posed, but if done, appearing as a raving lunatSome people don’t seem to understand that there may be decisions (some business, some cultural, and sometimes one’s we’ll never understand--believe me, international business can be a royal pain--trust me, I’ve got 7 years experience working with customers all over the world..you wouldn’t believe what it’s like trying to get paid sometimes!)

Scott