 LEGO Company / 3011
Re: 10152 Update: What has TLC to do to bring YOU up against them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:34:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Steven D. Weiser wrote:

snipped some text to reduce it to something I'am confused about

I am
fed up with everyone who thinks that this is an investment hobby. It is supposed
to be fun damn it. Everyone who has old MISB sets in the closet, go open them
and use the parts for something. Build with it instead of letting it rot on a
shelf. If you want to invest, I have 2 words for you. "STOCK MARKET"

Hi,

in this discussion on lugnet.com almost everybody who wrote about collectors
wrote in a very negative way. It seems as if in the english speaking world a
collector is generally a moneyhunter, speculator, and really a bad guy.

You (and not only you in person) seem to think that anybody who buys sets to
store them MISB are people who just wait for the day the worth doubles or
triples. In your opinion they all seem to buy every set multiple times to sell
them when the price increases. They just wait for the day they could say to
other people "Hey man, you need set 1234? I have one but it costs twice the
release price, sorry."?

Why do you all think so?

There is no doubt that there ARE people who think the way you sugguest, but
would anybody of them take part of this discussion? Why should they? Those
people are not well-seen in all fan forums, thats for sure.

So please think about this (maybe for you new) type of collector, who just
collects things for collecting and not for making money.
If you believe or not, there are indeed people who collect things and don't
think about the worth of their collection.
For sure: No collector would earn the same money he spend for his collection
when he's going to sell it. Maybe there some highlights whichs prices increased
in the last years, but LEGO ist not that type of hobby to make money by
collecting it.

When I find an old MISB 70's set what I like to own why should I open it?
I have enough standard bricks to build MOCs. So I just leave it in the box and
store it away ore put it on the shelf in the box.
And when a new set is relaesed, say with Jack Stoned why should I buy it? It's
nothing.
But a Maerk-Set? With maerskblue bricks? Rare because limited? Only 10,000 on
sale? Buy it immediately before they are gone. Or should I wait until I can buy
it from one of the party you are fed up?

So please try to understand collectors who are very annoyed about this Maersk
Theme. I think, I wouldn't have bought this set if I had known that it is normal
blay set, ok some rare parts in it, which could be bought anytime later and is
produced in the big ammounts like every other set.

The best comparison is what Ben said about the limited Santa Fé:
What would you have thought about Lego as a company when they had done another
run of auctions with number 1-10?

Regards Ronald