 LEGO Company / 2989
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:09:43 GMT

I agree with you Jonathan.

Anyone who buys Lego as an investment should look elsewhere to invest.  I own
10 copies of 6390 Main Street.  Then 20 years later they re-release it.  Was
I mad? No,  TLG never said that old sets would not be re-released.  Besides I
purchased them not to collect dust in some corner, but to build with the
parts. In fact investor type people have a tendancy to ruin hobbies.  Just
look at sports trading cards.

Lego is a Hobby, not an investment portfolio item.

Gary Istok

Gary, the problem is that from Jake's mouth:

Quote:

   I do know, however, that there will be 5 set limit per customer on this set
(Troy,are you listening? J). Why you ask?

   This set uses …drum roll please… Maersk blue! In fact, the run of this new
set uses all the Maersk blue ABS pellets we have left. That means that there is
literally no Maersk blue ABS left. Even the parks can no longer get Maersk blue.

End Quote
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=1801

So, they said one thing, and are doing another.  It disappoints me, because as
someone who has 2 copies left unopened of the original set, I am disapointed
that they would go back on their word.  Perhaps my view of someones word is
different than the rest of the world, but when someone says something, and does
something else, it is like a slap in the face to me.

I didn't buy it as a great big lego investment, but as a way of offsetting my
costs.  At some point, my sets would have appeared on bricklink.  The money I
get usually goes right back into bricklink, or other lego purchases.  But it
helps me offset the cost of my hobby.  I don't view it as speculating, when a
set is sold out in retail, its value generally elevates.  Even your original
Main Streets are worth more now than they were when you bought them...otherwise,
I will pay you what a old one cost for a new one?  No?

And less that people think I am desperately trying to profit, I had one guy on
my ship who wanted one then changed his mind...my price to him was the CDN cost
I paid for the ships...I'm not out to gorge people, but I will let the market
set the price for the set if I am selling outside of my friends.

James Powell