 LEGO Company / 2988
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:43:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, John M. Rudy wrote:

MAJOR SNIPAGE

   This community really needs to stop hating itself, or I fear it will self destruct pretty soon.

-John Rudy

The problem doesn’t lie within the community it lies within the company. Proof of this is that they are dumbfounded as to why with all of their efforts they are still loosing money.

I missed The whole Marsk debate but let’s face it anouncing to the world that you are producing something as a limited edition and then saying you changed your mind for whatever reason is by definition dishonest.

However it should come as no suprise as they basicly did the same thing with the Superchief.

Lego is ignoring it’s customers and is run by an egocentric bunch. If your tired of hearing about the color debate then lets frame it in how customers and kids are put off by sets that now commonly are short pieces.

Or how about how the kids today find Megablocks a better product.(mostly due to playability)

Parents think Megablocks are a better deal. As misguided as we might think that to be it is still what the non-AFOL consumer is thinking.

Given the current course we don’t have to worry about the community self destructing. AFOL’s are most often created by fun one had as a child with Lego. Since many kids today would rather have Megablocks there will in the future be far fewer AFOLs.

Lego refuses to listen to anyone wether AFOL or casulal consumer. Until they figure out that they don’t know everything things will get worse.

It could come sooner than later. Gi Joe was once king, yet as all action figures fade away at some point so did Joe. Bionical is no diffrent. Bionicle is propping up much of Lego. Joe has made somewhat of a come back. The question is then will Lego still be around when the Bionicle kids start feeling nostalgic? Ken