 LEGO Company / 3000
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:13:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ken Nagel wrote:

   I missed The whole Marsk debate but let’s face it anouncing to the world that you are producing something as a limited edition and then saying you changed your mind for whatever reason is by definition dishonest.

Perhaps there are different connotations of the term “limited”?

“Limited” in that we will purposefully limit production to X number of units to create collector demand, and will never produce them again, thus protecting their collector’s market value.

-or-

“Limited” in that we are limited by specific constraints such that we actually can’t manufacture more than X units, but if those constraints were removed we would certainly produce more.

I never read anywhere that Lego was purposefully limiting the production run. However I also felt it was a pretty safe bet that they wouldn’t make more units given the all the constraints involved (including the extra costs involved with licensed products). But I was wrong.

Also I got the impression that this next batch would be another small run, so I doubt the collector’s value is going to go down the drain. It’s not likely these things are going to end up on the shelves at Target for 75% off. But yes, a word to the wise - it’s definition #2 - there are no guarantees that this is the last run!

Spencer