 LEGO Company / 2959
Re: Interesting point of view, Rene!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:07:09 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Burkhard Schloemer wrote:
In lugnet.lego, David Koudys wrote:
my collection will keep me happy for the rest of my
life--37 years of proven happiness so far and there's nothing that TLC can do
that can take that away from me.

David, what you're telling us with so many words is that you're happy with your
existing collection so that you actually don't have to care what TLG does or
does not. That's ok. Nothing wrong with being a happy AFOL dwelling in the past.

37 years of LEGO-happyness are fine, but life goes on. For others here, at
least. And the direction TLG has taken recently is a valid reason to be
concerned for everybody WHO CARES. Complaints about "broken promises" are indeed
misleading. However, your grandfather's LEGO-memories are appreciated, but I'd
rather debate facts. I mean facts like questionable marketing decisions.

"Primus" Burkhard
http://www.BrickCommander.com

I care.  I think I've stated that numerous times--I care so much that I let Jake
know he's doing a great job at being a liason.  I care so much that I'm spending
more now on LEGO products than I did before.  I care to the point where I do
shows and displays to show off what can be done with LEGO bricks to get otehr
people interested in the hobby.

There's caring, and then there's obsessive behaviour.  And people who start
talking about litigation because LEGO decided to bring back a popular set are
obsessed and need to take a step back from the hobby and get some perspective.

If TLC's still in the toy brick building business, after all these so-called
'questionable decisions', then it's obvious that they're doing something right
and maybe it's time for the naysayers to sit down and shut up.

Take, for example, the wonderful 'debate' when Bionicle first made the scene.
"Questionable business decision" according to many AFOL's.  Well, I think that
TLC was far too polite. I would have said to all the "adults" who were
admonishing the company, "You can eat crow now".

It's a business.  Thankfully TLC's a business that hired a liason to the AFOL's
out there.  They didn't have to but they did.  And they sometimes 'let us in' on
what may happen.  Someone makes a decision--"Let's get rid of all our Maersk
pellets by giving to the AFOL community a really cool set!" (and it is a really
cool set!).  Then Maersk approaches them "You know what might be neat?  Another
cool Maersk set!"  What did you want TLC to do?  Say to Maersk, "Well, we stated
to the AFOL community that we wouldn't make any other Maersk blue sets, sorry,
can't take on this (probably) multi-million dollar deal."????  Yeah, that's a
great business decision.  The decisions "We're doing a final run of Maersk to
get rid of pellets" vs a few months later "We're entering into a new deal with
Maersk" are both perfectly legitimate ones.

Dave K
-Kosh quote--"The avalanche has started--it's too late for the pebbles to vote"