 LEGO Company / 2932
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:01:47 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ray Sanders wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, John Neal wrote:

   I don’t think anyone is complaining that there will be more of these sets in order to purchase. It was the fact that consumers were led to believe that the color maersk blue would never again be produced and thus the sets containing that color would have value beyond their face value. I think the whole matter would be solved in a nano second if TLC simply changed the number or somehow made the new run tangibly different from the original. This would require minimum effort and make everyone happy (except those who were really hoping for the dark blue version, which may or may not appear).

Except that Maersk wants more 10152’s. So TLC is going to make another run of 10152, and split the production between Maersk and S@H.

I think that I didn’t make myself clear. All I am asking for is that the new run of 10152s be numbered “10153” or something. This simple change preserves the collectiblity of the 10052s. I wasn’t suggesting any more radical change than that. Again, I’m glad that there will be more Maersk blue available on the market! But I agree that it would be nice if the run was a different set in order to provide a greater variety of elements colored Maersk blue, but saylavee.

   I would be most pleased if there were enough pellets to do the production run and reissue something else from the collection of past Maersk sets (e.g 1552 or 1831). I would suspect that part of the higher pellet cost is a one-shot setup fee. If so, then it might make more sense to order extra.

   Many people are looking at it from the standpoint of “LEGO is producing collectibles, so they need to honor the implied promise of limited availability.” Does LEGO look at their products that way? I don’t know, but I doubt it.

If they had never said that Maersk blue would be gone forever after the last run, I don’t think people would have any expectation of limited availability. Therein lies the rub.

My take is that TLC assumed that the existing stock of pellets would be sufficient to meet everyones needs. The only thing that might change that (unlikely back then) was for Maersk to ask for more. Guess what happened ? So they could just make some for Maersk and ignore us (i.e. S@H) or do it this way. This makes more sense to me (but is sure to honk off the collectors/proffiteers).

It might bum out parts resellers, but doesn’t necessarily have to affect MISB collectors.

JOHN