 LEGO Company / 2909
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:50:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Ronald Borchert wrote:
When any company of toys or other stuff releases a "Limited Edition" and
promises it contains the last parts of a certain condition (in this case maersk
blue bricks) they make this item a "collectible" item.

And when they re-release the same item with the same prosperities they betray
the buyers of that limited item and lie on the market.
There is no discussion and apology at that facts.

I'm being a little facetious here, but a truth you may want to consider
is that some people are really gullible---they'll believe pretty much
anything.  And if someone is able to wrestle money out of them, hey, more
power to them!  ;]

But seriously, Ben makes an excellent point in his parallel post:

In lugnet.lego, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
I agree somewhat, yes another run does "flood" the market more with sets,
however, if you are truly diligent with your MISB sets, I'm sure in
25 to 30 years, a Maersk Sealand will reach a fine price in the after-market,
assuming Lego maintains its market appeal.

In my opinion, there is only one true type of COLLECTOR---a person who
buys something because they want it for some particular reason that matters
only to them.  I collect Classic Space, among other things, because I really
like Classic Space.  It's *not* because they are so valuable now.  (In fact,
their value now is a pain-in-the-a$$ to me because it costs so bloody much
to get the collection!)

But then in a separate category are the people who may call themselves
"collectors", and maybe they mostly are, but they seem more concerned about
hype of "limited editions", etc., because they believe it will cause the
value to go up faster.  I think those people are best called "SPECULATORS",
just like in the stock market, real estate, etc.  You buy something hoping
the price will go up.  That's a risky venture.  When situations change and
the price doesn't go up, or doesn't go up as much, those in the stock market
may whine that the company failed them, but in reality, they gambled, they
lost.  It's no different with LEGO.  If speculation is your only real
interest in collecting sets, well..., see my first paragraph!   ;]  I think
a true wise speculator (if there is such a thing) will wait quite a while
before picking something up, years after the production runs have ended,
before deciding that something shows promise.  (A truely skilled speculator
will probably have no problem buying a MISB set from someone at a steal
of a price, years after production has ended.)

Ultimately, "collecting things" is a very poor investment (high risk) if
all you're interested in is reselling at a higher price..., much of the
price rise is due to years of inflation.  I don't hold anything against
speculators---if they do well, great, if not, oh well.  But it bugs me when
they run around thinking they are real collectors, but making a stink about
this marketing hype or that, and how much "value" their collection has lost
because of a company decision.  Hopefully they can find someone who really
cares to tell it to.  Me, I continue to enjoy my collection regardless of
"market value".  :]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203