 LEGO Company / 2353
Re: Worn Tyres and Rusty Rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:16:03 GMT

Mark Bellis wrote:

I also noticed that some of the rails on my track pieces are starting to rust.
Some rails have brown dots on them when they are new out of the box and a few
have developed further brown patches.  I keep all the track in a dry indoor
environment in the hope that rails will not rust further, but perhaps this is
not enough.  Of course rusty rails would cause increased tyre wear on the
motors.

I would note that all 5 10001s I got in the discount sale had yellow rails - every
last rail was badly oxidized.  I was not happy about that, but considering the price
I got them at, I may not call Cons Aff about swapping them.

Is there anything the user can do to reduce or remove rust, without damaging the
rails?  I can understand carbon being removed by a pencil eraser, but rust tends
to require more thorough treatment.

You can try Brasso, or NevrDull.  Either stinks badly, though, so once you have the
rails polished clean, you have to wash the track to get rid of the stink.  And dry
it, *immediately*, or it will discolor again.

--
Tom Stangl
*http://www.vfaq.com/