 Trains / 23490
Re: Worn Tyres and Rusty Rails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark Bellis wrote:

What is the expected lifetime of the track?  It looks like 8 years, since I
bought my first 9V track in 1997.  How does that compare with its design life?

Has anyone else had either of these problems and how have you overcome them?

Mark

Mark,

I've had the same problem with the track. And had several damaged by mice
droppings, they nested in a box of track! I had to use steel wool to remove the
strains. I strongly recomend Satainless steel wool, the standard version will
contribute to further rusting later on! Using some basic tests, the track seems
to be steel with a tin or zinc/nickel alloy plateing. Either way, the plating is
very thin. So unless you have a friend that can replate, consider the finish a
loss. I've considederd buying a brush plater myself. Would be usefull foy my
modded track as well.

Mat