 LEGO Company / 2015
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:13:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:

I could be totally off base, but my thinking is that some group has to
"own" the naming/numbering, and what better group than LDraw.org? (With
input from relevant players, of course)

I do not think anybody would need to "own" anything here (other than Lego).
And I do not think any one site should be the leader with this. If the 3
sites chose to work something out then they should all have an equal say. As
catalog admin on BL I would not want to be flat out told what to name
something with less input than the next person, and that really turns me off
to the idea (speaking for myself, not anybody else in any way mind you). I
think that was the problem last time - one site trying to take everything
over.

All I mean by "own" (and the reason I keep using quotes) is that someone/some
group is driving the process. And as I, and I believe Steve and Tim
mentioned, the point I was making wasn't that anyone is told what to do, but
that there is input and discussion until an idea is developed. Every project
has to have some sort of leadership. Sometimes that's one person, sometimes
that's a small group. Either way, they "own" that project. That's all I was
saying.

I know what you meant by it, and thats what I meant as well. I think if the
sites are truly going to work with each other then they all need an equal say -
if not it is more 'including' than 'working with'. And there is a large
difference there.

I know you may not like the numbering/naming scheme, but from what I can tell
it works fine for us.

I am sure it does work fine for you, if it did not I would hope you would not
keep using it ;)

I am not saying Lego needs to change its internal names - but it would be
good to see a color guide ON lego.com that uses public-friendly names (and
dare I say more correct names than the internal names?). And this would
include STOP using a name for a color when that color has been changed -
example - NOT calling the new bley 'gray'. As well as only using ONE name
per color (example of green and dark green).

Besides AFOLs, who would care? Kids aren't knocking down are door to clarify
whether it's pink or magenta.

Thats not really the point, and its not what I was asking for. My point was you
cause confusion when you do what was done with the green/dark green and what it
looks like you are going to do with the old/new greys. When I place an order
somplace - I like to know exactly WHAT I am getting.. I do not think that is too
much to ask of Lego.. are you saying that is asking too much? Do you see the
problem of using the same name for 2 different things? Do you understand how
both kids, non-AFOL parents (who do the buying) can get confused with that?

Do not get me wrong - I think its a great idea - but I would like to see
Lego get useable names first.

I guess I just still don't understand (and I'm really not trying to be dense)
why it matters what we call things internally?

I never said it mattered what you called anything internally - what I said was
*publically*. This is what I said:
"I am not saying Lego needs to change its internal names - but it would be good
to see a color guide ON lego.com that uses public-friendly names (and dare I say
more correct names than the internal names?)."

But I think it matters very much what you call names in public and to the
public. I do think that to use the names in public you would need to do some
serious work on the list. (keep in mind I said this is what I would like to see,
I am not saying you need to make a public list for the kids - just thought it
would be a popular section on lego.com. I know the chances for this are prob
less than 5% at best). But it DOES matter very much when you are selling an
item.

You can call black 'purple with white stripes and green dots' internally for all
I care. But what I would like to see is a more-friendly PUBLIC list that Lego
uses. Look at the names on this list:
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi

I would like to see a list on lego.com where kids can go to see all the colors
Lego is using. And I would like that list to be more user-friendly names (no
'Gun metallic').

We call it medium stone gray,
but have you ever called it that? No, you call it bley, gray, new light gray,
whatever you want. And that's totally cool.

You call it 'stone' internally, but what are you going to call it on S@H? Is
that 'stone' going to be there? Or are you going to use the same 'grey' that you
used for a different color?

I just can't see that there's any requirement for LEGO to change their naming
methods or part numbering or to create an internal version and an external
version. Honestly, AFOLs are the only ones who care about this, and as such,
it's best left to them to develop a naming/numbering scheme that best works
for them. Right?

What? Are you saying the colors are not important to kids? I hope I
misunderstood you... but I know many kids that care that the new colors in the
new sets "look funny" when used with parts from older sets. And I think it DOES
matter that if you are selling a brick that is not the same color you do not
call it the same name (and/or same set number) as you used for the old color.
That IS important information to Lego fans of ALL ages.

But yes, it would be nice - not important (IMHO) for the AFOL sites to get
together (with equal input) and use the same color names.. I just have little
hope for a true soloution where some people do not try to take everything over.
I hope I am wrong, I really do.. but I am not going to hold my breath on this
one.

Mark P
LoB