 Inventories / 245
Re: part weight inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:36:58 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Maggie Cambron wrote:
Also keep in mind that those who submit weights are those who have the parts,
so sellers probably are more highly represented as weight contributors.  This
{could} lead to a tendency to round to the high side of weight measurements
so they don't get caught underestimating a shipment weight.  But this is just
a speculation on my part.

That was my guess too, but yeah, no way to verify. Unless of course someone
wants to take a high-precision scale to every Lego element out there and post
the results. Or, if the Lego Company wants to tell us all what the weights are!

As for posting piece weights that you have gleaned primarily from BL data, I
personally don't see a problem, although you may want to state the source.
And you also may want to use any other sources of weight info you can find
and average them out if possible for greater accuracy.

I had 3 sources:

1) BrickLink (98.6% of the data). I took the master part list from Peeron, and
had a program bash through all of the pages with weight information on BrickLink
(Trying to be nice, pulled a page every 10+ seconds). So wherever the part
numbers matched, and there was a weight, I stored it. Then, I went through a few
non-standard pieces and adjusted some weights as needed, as well as copying any
non-patterned parts' weights to patterned parts (and visa versa).

2) Christopher Tracey, from post:
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shipping/?n=362
Christopher used a chemistry scale that he had access to for part weighing. I
assumed this data was better than BrickLink data, and overwrote BL data with
his.

3) Lutz Uhlmann, from post:
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shipping/?n=542
In the same thread, Lutz had posted a chunk of his own measurements that he had
taken. I don't believe I overwrote any BrickLink data with his, however.

Part weight data, all bound up:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/tmp/weights.txt

DaveE