 Inventories / 244
Re: part weight inventory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:41:25 GMT

In lugnet.inv, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.inv, Ross Crawford wrote:
   Bricklink records the weight of many LEGO parts, however it’s only approximate because two items of the same part can have different weights.

We discussed average piece weight in a recent thread: http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=52887

I actually collected a lot of BrickLink’s data in mid august. IIRC, I found in general that the BL weight was a little bit too heavy on average, when comparing to a few other sources of weights. I found some data that someone had gathered using a chemistry scale for measuring a few elements, as well as another source where someone had weighed a bunch of pieces (in a spreadsheet posted to LUGNET I believe).

I’m not sure where BL gets their weight data, but I’m assuming that it’s from sellers who have made approximations for them, possibly from shipping weights? If that were the case, it would certainly explain the extra weight. Otherwise, I dunno. I wonder if it’s kosher to post a list of piece weights online, gathered from mostly BL data. Hm. I guess probably not.

DaveE

We assume, but cannot verify, that the weight submissions we get on BrickLink have actually been weighed on a scale. Some submitters add notes with their submissions such as “100 white bricks weighed on a +/- .01g scale” or something like that. However not everyone does that and we have no way of verifying the acccuracy of any submissions. For that reason we suggest that the weights be used as a guideline, and no guarantee is made as to their accuracy.

Also keep in mind that those who submit weights are those who have the parts, so sellers probably are more highly represented as weight contributors. This could lead to a tendency to round to the high side of weight measurements so they don’t get caught underestimating a shipment weight. But this is just a speculation on my part.

As for posting piece weights that you have gleaned primarily from BL data, I personally don’t see a problem, although you may want to state the source. And you also may want to use any other sources of weight info you can find and average them out if possible for greater accuracy.

Maggie C.

BL Catalog Admin