 Instructions / 634
633  |  635
Subject:
Mecha under construction: Make-a-Mecha 1-2-3-4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 11:56:09 GMT

If you guys hurry up you can build along with me.

Make-a-Mecha

Here are the first four steps. Feel free to follow these outlines or what ever suits you.

First thing to do to make a Mech is to build a head.

Here is the head of a new Mecha I am building called the “Skrylitch”.
Pick a cool canopy, windsheild or parts as eyes to help you begin the
face or head.

1. Make a head:

Once you have a head design you like, (feel free to rebuild it again if
needed until you get the look you want) begin making a neck.

Choose some parts that can give the head some movement. Like turntables,
or hindges.

I used worm gears and gear box elements to make the neck bend.

2. Make a neck:

Next make a hand.

Hands and the head can serve as proportion guides to the scale of the Mecha.

Here is an old hand I build for the Rumble Bunny:
They are very much like the new hands of the Scrylitch that I forgot to
take a picture of, but you get the picture. *jinks

3. Make a hand:

Choose parts that compliment the head and fit its scale.
If you are unsure if the scale is good, keep in mind the rule of thumb and
face mush. If the hand is bigger then the head it may be out of scale, but
don’t mush your Mech’s prototype hand in to it’s face when it tries it. That would be mean.

4. Begin shoulder joints

Start to determine the torso area of the Mech.
Try making some joints to be used as the shoulders and start to make some
checks to see how big the chest should be.

I used some technic building techniques to make the shoulder joints here in
the Scrylitch:

At this point in the build, a check is done to see how closely the shoulders
and head mount. Adjustments may be needed in the head position and the
shoulders as well.

Next:

Once construction of the Scrylitch continues, the next step will be the feet. Until then, have fun!

Eric Sophie