 Harry Potter / 89
Re: Magic and Wands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:02:55 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Chris Ernest Hall writes:
I think the wand is a means of controlling and focusing the use of magic. The
times when Harry performs magic without a wand are times of great emotional
duress, when he doesn't really have any control of what he's doing. Presmably
the wizards and witches use the wand as a means of disciplining and controlling
their powers.

I'll agree partially to that explaination.  In book 1, when Harry is in
Diagon Alley to buy things for school, he and Hagrid go to the wand shop.
The wand shop says that its the "wand that picks the master" and that
"no two wands are the same" but we also see that there is two components:
the wood and the type of magic material (Phoenix Feathers, etc)....
I think there is more to wand use than your explaination of magic channelling.
There is more to magic than just thoughts, the movement of the wand, the
things being said (chanted), etc.

I think the very theme of the series is Wizard vs Muggles.  What is the
main description of a wizard: someone capable of doing magic.  What is the
main description of a muggle: those that aren't capable.  There were wizards
that were muggle-born (both parents were non-magic users) and there were
muggles that had 2 wizard parents, and there were wizards who had both a
muggle and wizard parent.

I would also like to comment on the magic in the cauldron quickly, we see
the potions made up of magic ingrediants (eyes of newt, certain special
magical animals, like toe-nail of the unicorn, or scale of dragon,
that sort of thing) also important is the amount of time it is cooked into
the cauldron and also the amount of time it simmers afterwards.

As far as Harry's power of being able to think magic and it happens....
I think it is an entirely different style of magic....but a power that
proves he is a great wizard...also in the 3rd book it goes into depth of
still another form of magic...animagi....being able to transform oneself
into animals...I'm sure the process takes great knowledge of potions,
and great power, but we see that 2 of Harry's father's friends were also
able to transform much like the way Harry, Ron, and Hermione were able to
transform into other people in book 2 (except animagi was a reoccuring
happening whereas what Harry and friends did in book 2 was a one-time
deal (as far as I have read)

It's interesting, though, that this has never come up in a Hogwarts class.

- chris

In lugnet.harrypotter, Paul Coombs writes:
Hi, new poster here.
   Has anywone noticed that all the magic at Hogwarts is done by wand or by
potion, but that 2 or 3 times Harry is able to do magic w/o either.  cf. the
window at the zoo and Aunt what's-her-name blowing up like a balloon.  You
would think that sometime in the 4 books she would address this issue in
some way.  I think it's pretty cool, but I would also like some sort of
explanation as to why nobody else seems to work that way.  Has this bothered
anyone else or just me?

Paul