 Harry Potter / 87
Re: Magic and Wands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:10:51 GMT

I think the wand is a means of controlling and focusing the use of magic. The
times when Harry performs magic without a wand are times of great emotional
duress, when he doesn't really have any control of what he's doing. Presmably
the wizards and witches use the wand as a means of disciplining and controlling
their powers.

It's interesting, though, that this has never come up in a Hogwarts class.

- chris

In lugnet.harrypotter, Paul Coombs writes:
Hi, new poster here.
   Has anywone noticed that all the magic at Hogwarts is done by wand or by
potion, but that 2 or 3 times Harry is able to do magic w/o either.  cf. the
window at the zoo and Aunt what's-her-name blowing up like a balloon.  You
would think that sometime in the 4 books she would address this issue in
some way.  I think it's pretty cool, but I would also like some sort of
explanation as to why nobody else seems to work that way.  Has this bothered
anyone else or just me?

Paul