 Harry Potter / 551
Re: Timelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:42:54 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.harrypotter, Evan Butzlaff writes:

Hmmmmm, I am pretty sure that "Harry Potter" takes place in our times. • They
have cars and everything.  Sounds like it could have been in the 1970's+
Maybe the books would release a date in one chapter.... I am pretty sure • its
in our time period.

I agree. A British car buff familiar with Ford products may be able to pin
it even more accurately because the Weaselys (in book 2) have a Ford • Anglia
that is referred to as "old" and "rusty" but not "antique". A cursory • search
in Google seems to indicate that this model was made in the 1950s and • 1960s...

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/2640/history.html

So that supports 1970s to my way of thinking.

There are still a few on the road so it doesn't really date it any more
accurately than   >= 1950's.

Personally, I agree with Evan. I have always assumed the books are set
'today'.

Huw