 Harry Potter / 560
Re: Timelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:50:48 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Jason Cicchini writes:
Okay, I'm not going crazy, however...
I just asked my lil' sis( a HUGE HP fan) about the date, and she agreed with
me about the date being correct. However, she doesn't think it's in the
second book. I'm currently scanning all four books to find the exact page
number, and line the date is revealed in.
Wish me luck!
-Jay

The events of the first book occur in 1991, according to
http://www.geocities.com/hptimeline/
(Please note that this is a huge spoiler site if you haven't read the four
volumes published to date).  I find the books reminiscent of Enid Blyton or
Roald Dahl -- they could easily have been set at any time in the past
seventy years.

And from that site, it comes clear that it never actually says what the
current date is, but there is a anniversary celebration of 500 years since 1492.
(I trust that is sufficiently vague to avoid the need for spoiler warnings?)

thanks,

James