 Harry Potter / 549
Re: Timelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:13:24 GMT

Actually, in the second book, The date is revealed.. the story for the
second book takes place around 1991, which means the rest would be the
following years.
Later!
-Jay

In lugnet.harrypotter, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Evan Butzlaff writes:

Hmmmmm, I am pretty sure that "Harry Potter" takes place in our times. They
have cars and everything.  Sounds like it could have been in the 1970's+
Maybe the books would release a date in one chapter.... I am pretty sure its
in our time period.

I agree. A British car buff familiar with Ford products may be able to pin
it even more accurately because the Weaselys (in book 2) have a Ford Anglia
that is referred to as "old" and "rusty" but not "antique". A cursory search
in Google seems to indicate that this model was made in the 1950s and 1960s...

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/2640/history.html

So that supports 1970s to my way of thinking.

I would not read too much into the fact that the Hogwarts Express is steam
powered, but I DO set a bit of stock in the fact that no one has cell phones.

Of course, dating fantasy (alternate timeline/reality?) worlds by using
technology is a bit, well, fantastic, so... YMMV.