 Harry Potter / 482
481  |  483
Subject:
So what do you think?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:26:47 GMT

The newest theme to grace the Lego line is Harry Potter legos.  They are
based off the incredibly famous books and the soon to be movie.  But is Lego
going too far?

Obviously, these sets will sell.  People, especially kids, all over the
world adore Harry Potter and will flock in droves to see the movie and then
find themselves buying Harry action figures and lego sets.

Personally, though, I wish the world of Harry Potter could be left alone.
What makes Harry so amazing is that people are getting this excited over a
BOOK.  (The last series of books I can think of that were this popular was
Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.)  Kids are again reading and their imaginations
are running free.

But with a toy line out, kids don't have to use their immagination as much.
For example, one doesn't have to picture in their mind what Harry looks
like; instead, s/he could look at a lego box or watch the movie.

This is not to say that movie and toy productions of books is a bad thing,
however.  I think the Lord of the Rings movie is a fantastic idea.  The
major difference, though, is that Tolkien's classics have been aging for
decades and they are a part of permanent culture.  Harry just isn't.  At
least not yet.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off my mark.  And I'm probably a hypocrite, too,
since I will probably buy one or two sets myself.  But something just
doesn't seem right...

KEith