 Harry Potter / 364
Re: First True Harry Potter Pics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Jeff Stembel writes:
I think the sets are excellent for what most of us buy sets for in the first >place: parts.  It is superb in that respect, IMO.

Yeah.  I don't give a hoot about Harry Potter -- haven't read the books yet,
and I may never do so. But this may be an advantage as when I look at the HP
sets I have no expectations that can be disappointed.

The sets don't appeal very much in terms of their "established" arrangement
of elements -- but as parts packs, they appeal very much!  I like the new
hair elements, the many new creatures, and the Belville elements available
outside of Belville sets (as it should be with all parts usable at minifig
scale!).  My only REAL concern is that these sets need to be priced such
that they can serve as parts packs much as the new Guarded Inn was priced to
serve such a purpose. Then we can all score lamp posts, frogs, rats, blue
flames, lt. grey armour, etc....

Speaking to set design just for a moment though: the TLC designers have to
get their heads out of their behinds and stop doing this stuff with sheets
of plastic!  Those slanted roofs in 4709 are awful, and what in the world
are those pointy roof things in 4707!!!??? I have said this before in
relation to the asymmetrical Belville conical roof elements and the KK
castle walls -- but someone should be sacked for those element designs!
Practically any AFOL can design elements better than those even on their
worst day! And those plastic sheets aren't even bricks!  I mean, these are
roofs we are talking about and not the sails of a ship or a minifig's cape
(where using sheets of cloth or plastic basically makes sense). Sheeesh!

And I still hope that neither KK or HP are the future of Castle sets because
neither will suffice.  I hope that the re-release of Guarded Inn is the
future of the Castle theme! If TLC does not now understand that this KK and
HP stuff is NOT Castle for most of us, then they should come to understand
it presently -- or so I hope.

-- Hop-Frog (STILL gnashing his teeth in the manner that can be heard from
across the room)