 Harry Potter / 1400
Re: Harry Potter License
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Ken Nagel wrote:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Scott DeWolf wrote:
Is it true that the license is only for the 1st 2 movies?  Basically, is what we
see out now all that we are getting?

No , Lego is NOT done with HP...

Is there any news release out that says so?  I clearly a news release (which I
cannont find at the moment) that states that LEGO was granted a 3-film
license.  LEGO can and probably will make arrangements that will extend the
license for the 4th movie, but that is not guaranteed at this point.

Even though I am a Harry Potter fan, I hope that LEGO does not continue
the license because most of the sets have gone down in demand since
the first year.

Side Note: even though there is a reduced demand, I thought the Chamber of
Secrets sets were great, particularly the 4 Privet Drive set.

Harry Potter is keeping us from getting new Castle sets.  Though having
new castle sets does not necessarily mean great sets.  LEGO is still
having its love-affair with Juniorization, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Intrested in HP or not the Lego series has brought a lot of great parts out that
would other wise never have been made. A lot of the LOTR creations I've seen
make extensive use of HP elements. Juniorized or not a look at Brickshelf shows
the bar of excellence in MOC castle construction is being raised frequently.
-Ken

And there will probably at least a couple gems in the next round of Harry
Potter sets, both in general set design, and (hopefully) in the rare piece
selection.

Ben

  There has been no offical announcments. From hanging around people who know
more than I know I can tell you the new releases will coincide with the movie
release. I know that an old favorite will be re-released (not un like the
X-Wing) It should be better than before.
  From there I can only guess but I can't imagine not seeing a Knight Bus and
Hippogriphs!
  In the Mean time here's one of my wifes custom creations from her expanded HP
world:

This and much more will be on display at the Cantigny Park show. hope to see you
there!-ken