 General / 9974
9973  |  9975
Subject:
My Analysis of the 2000 Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:19:21 GMT

Well, lets start at the begining!
*Please direct replies to the appropriate places(Star Wars to .starwars, etc.)*

*Soccer*
3401 - Not much to recommend this set, IMO.  I doubt I'll get it.
3403 - Looks decent, 8 seats is good, as are the 6x8 slopes.  Otherwise,
average set.
3404, 3405, & 3407 - Very good for Parts, but the wheels suck.  Seven train
windows in Black, White, and Red respectively; two 2x6x2 windowshields each;
Plain white, red, and green torsos; lots of hairpieces and general faces; and
last, but by no means least, two Trans-Light Blue 1x1 Bricks each!  Yay!
3408 - Three words:  Cherry Picker Bucket!!  Woohoo!!  Oh, and some decent
pieces like seats and 1x2x3 train windows (sans glass).  :)
3409 - Uh... Anyone wanna send me the old field plates?  ;)  I like the fact
that there are lots of green 2x2 tiles, 4 white 2x2x2 slopes, 20 white 2x6x2
windshields, and large nets, but otherwise, I'm not too thrilled.  I'll
probably get it anyways though.

*Star Wars* (see my other reviews in .starwars)
7155 - Lookit all the Beige!  Cool!  The saucer sections are well done, IMO.  I
also like the four brown 4x2 slopes.
7181 - Looks cool, but expensive.  Interesting use of the 10x10 octagonal dome.
Tons of plates!  Yay!
7184 - I love this set!  Tons of brown and (dark)gray!  Not to mention (dark)
gray 2x2x3 corner slopes, and possible brown 2x2x2 slopes!  Brown A-Wing
Canopies are cool too!
7190 - I actually like the Milenium Falcon.  I needs to be redone in a couple
places, but thats no big deal.  I think the saucer sections are well don in
this too.  And lots of gray pieces!
7191 - Looks cool, but expensive.  why does it have a 1x4/2x2 hinge brick at
the front?  Tons of plates and other good pieces!  Yay!

*Knights Kingdom* (So what're kings doing there? ;) )
4806 - This is an ugly cart.  Its only saving graces, IMO, are two of each:
crossbows, halberds, and 4x4 cylinders.
6026 - Good way to get the tower piece and the soldier, but how many kings do
we need?
6032 - Why do recent Lego Siege Engines seem to suck so much?  Its got some
cylinder bricks, though, and a horse mask.  I don't like the catapult bucket at
all.
6091 - 16 BLUE 2x2x3 CORNER SLOPES!!!  Woohoo!!  Tons of good pieces, including
a brown bird and Brown Crossbows.  I really like the new lion head lintels.  I
don't like the model too much, and I wish they had used 6090's baseplate, if
anything.  I don't like the siege engine, but the minifigs look good, I wish
there were more.  Too many Silver Claymores, tho.
6094 - Now this is a must buy!  Two soldiers, two lintel bricks, four 2x2x3
corners, 1 arched window with bars, and two brown torches!  Cool!
6095 - Argh, not another King!  Four lintels, though, and two knights with a
practise target.  Not too shabby.
6096 - The two catapults could've been *so* much better.  The cyberslam cannon
thing is ugly and dumb, but with some modifications, the battering ram would be
kinda neat.  I do like the new minifigs and shields, though!

*Race*
No sets yet, but do we really need more race cars!?!?  I think the two vehicles
shown are really ugly, with very little to offer me.

*Lost World Adventurers*
The new Pontoon plane kicks arse!!  Dinos!  Yay!  The car is a tad ugly tho.
I'd rather have more cars like the ones from the Egyptian Adventurers.
5934 - I like the Pterodactyl, but not the treaded vehicle.  But we get a blue
cup!  ;)

*Arctic* (New Town Sub-theme)
6520 - Doesn't look too bad.  Some tools, an odd white thing next to the tools,
new wall pieces (which look interesting).  Some good orange pieces.
6569 - A Polar Bear!!  Time for Polar Bear Tipping!  :)  Interesting Orange
Scorpion, though.  Never thought I'd see something like that.  The 'figs appear
to have a new backpack type.
6573 - Oooh!  Orange!  :)  The Trans-light blue Meteor looks interesting.
Can't forget the snowshoes!  Yay, more footwear!  What is the guy in Green
carrying though?
6575 - Ok, whats that yellow thing behind the treaded vehicle?  White
baseplates, Airlock pieces?, new walls, some other good stuff.  Two orange 2x2
corner slopes, though!
6579 - About all it is good for is getting the 'fig, the skiis, and the orange.
Reminds me too much of an X-treme team set I didn't like.

*City Center* (I've never seen a city center like this, thats for sure)
6470 - Not much to say.  Its tiny, ugly, and I ain't gettin' it.
6471 - I'll get this set for one reason, and one reason only: the green
airplane windshield.
6474 - Again, bad use of the click hinges.  The vehicle isn't that great to
begin with, though.
6477 - This set has two saving graces:  the White Cherry Picker Bucket and a
black fireman's hat.  Otherwise, its ugly.
6478 - Blegh!  *ANOTHER* fire station!?!?  Lots of new click hinges (again??),
but that's about it.
6600 - Raised road plates!  Cool!  the ramp is too steep, and there is no
off/on ramp pieces, but I'll survive.  :)  I don't like the new larger wheels
much; in fact I don't like the vehicles much anyway.  What is the oppsession
with click hinges?  They are too bulky, IMO.  The hollow yellow cone is nice,
though.

*Robo Riders*
I'll sum this up quickly, 'cause I'm not too interested in this kinda thing.
They look interesting, and I'll definitely get a couple copies of 8511 for the
silver spears.  Possibly 8513, too, depending on what it has.  I'd also like to
dub the new green color of 8509 the following: "Puke Green".  anyone have any
complaints about that?  ;)

Well, thats it for now!
Jeff
"Man! Today is so loopy!"