 General / 9813
Re: Stallman mentions Lego in newspaper article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 00:45:23 GMT

Followups to off-topic.debate, because...

suffice it to say, I do not agree, sir. :-)

Stallman may be a bit flakey as a person, but I think the general theme
that one can create "free" software and make a healthy living from it is
extremely valid. I did not hear him in person so I cannot comment on
that interview, but the GNU Manifesto seems to be pretty clear on how to
go about making a living from "free software".

And if you don't think it's doable, what precisely is it that RedHat,
one of the most successful IPOs recently, is doing?

Now, I will tell you that I personally would not want to see a world
where all software was FORCED to be free by government fiat, and where
Stallman advocates that he's a bit over the edge... I personally support
the notion of a developer having rights to his creativity. But it is
well within the rights of developers to experiment with copylefting and
seeing where it goes.

I would say that he no doubt was twisted out of context by that
interviewer as well. Again, read the manifesto, it spells it out pretty
clearly.