 General / 9092
Re: Launch of new site: SimiLego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
What I want to know with towns like this one is: how do you reach into
the middle of it? What if a train derails in the middle, or you want to
change something in there?

You bring up a good point, Kevin.  What sort of layout is suitable for display
purposes as well as accessibility?

I think that in general you do not want to arrange your display tables more
than 5 feet in depth.  This allows for 2.5 feet access from one side and 2.5
feet from the other.  "U", "L", "H" and "O" shapes seem to work best for
accessibility, although I'd say that in order to design a decent train loop,
you would almost have to have some type of "O" layout.

My town started with four 5'x2.5' folding tables that formed at 5'x10'
layout.  After adding the other tables I left a hole towards the middle so
that I could "prarie dog" and reach the inner parts of my city.  Now only
about half of this opening is still left since I covered the rest with other
constructions.

I've found that I can access about 95% of the layout without pulling any
muscles.  The other 5% require a full acrobatic stunt of careful balance.
Consequently, the citizens of PlastiCity talk of occasional Godzilla sightings
and keep emergency crews alert to respond to casualties and damage cleanup.

Andreas Stabno
stabno@megsinet.net
http://www.megsinet.net/~stabno/SimiLego.htm