 General / 8774
Re: Newbie overwhelmed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:42:19 GMT

Adam Porter wrote:

Hello Legoids!  I have just recently caught Legomania having realized I
didn't explore these wonders as much as I might have as a kid.  I work
for Bell Labs in Murray Hill.  So I'm a newbie... I've found some great
resources like RTL, Lugnet, and ebay... but my biggest problem is that
I'm overwhelmed and don't really know where to start!  I think I will
want to get into things that move at some point, but have an awful lot
of Star Wars, Technic?, Mindstorm?, etc. to catch up on.

I'd love some advice on what people feel are "Must Have"! :)  Here's my
posting to RTL from today:

Welcome! You will see a lot of opinions on what is a "must have", but
ultimately, you will need to decide for yourself what is right for you.

I'm giving him the silver tub of 600 to get started.  But he loves
cars, trucks, etc. so I bought a red smaller tub of 400 which had
wheels, propellers, etc.

Tubs and buckets are a good way to get a large quantity of parts, but
you will want to start looking at the sets to get a wider variety of
parts.

If he really digs all this stuff like I think he will, where's a good
place to look from there?  The train sets look terriffic but I'm a
little scared of the prices.  (What does it cost to put together a
reasonable train set?  I'm not above ebay.)  Also, is there some kind
of smaller (maybe $40 or less?) Star Wars set somewhere?

Yes the train sets are expensive, but if you compare them to quality
model trains, you will find that they are actually quite reasonably
priced for what you get. If you are serious about trains, you should
check out Shop at Home and pick up some of the older train sets they
still cary. The direction train has taken in the past couple years is
towards more futuristic, less realistic trains, with far more large
pieces to simplify construction (but reduce flexibility of design).
Check out lugnet.trains for a wealth of information.

Watch in lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade as well
as RTL for auctions and sales. You will find the opportunity to get some
stuff for less than what it goes for on eBay, along with a friendlier
atmosphere. eBay is still worthwhile. I do the bulk of my auction
purchasing through eBay, but I've scored a few nice deals on Lugnet and
RTL also.

There are Star Wars sets at most price points that TLG (The Lego Group)
uses. Essentially all of the Star Wars sets are nice sets (not perfect,
but much better than most of the other current LEGO sets).

Maybe I should just wait and see what he likes, then let him tell
(ask) me!

Always a good plan.

One other thing that may be worthwhile. If you see older sets that you
aren't interested in, but seem to be a good price, either buy them for
re-sale, or put up a notice that you've found this or that set in a
store, does anyone want it badly enough to make it worth your while to
go pick it up for them. Also watch peoples wanted lists. One of the
first transactions I made was to go buy a set I had seen in a store that
was on someone's wanted list, and got several older castle sets in
exchange.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com