 General / 8355
Re: Halloween Lego Design Contest Reminder and Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 01:40:37 GMT

   I'm crossposting this to lugnet.publish.

   It seems to be related to case sensitivity in the URL's.  From work I have
trouble, but not from home.  Both are IE 4.0, but Work is "Version
4.72.3110.8" while home is "Version 4.72.3110". I don't see any options in IE
4.0 that relate to it.  I don't know if being behind a firewall at work has
any bearing on the problem, but that is another difference.

   Todd's link on the Spotlight page has "Halloween" with a capital "H", as
did the link on my home page, but in reality it needs a lower case "h".  I
confirmed that my work IE 4.0 could get there if I used lower case "h" and
couldn't if I used upper case "H".  I have updated my home page to put the URL
in lower case.

   Also, there seems to be an issue between the 2 browsers finding my default
home page if it is not explicitly given as "home.htm".  Again my home IE 4.0
has no trouble, but my work IE 4.0 gives me a "Server Error" message.

   To sum up, any of these 4 links work from my home IE:

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brian_h_nielsen/

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brian_h_nielsen/home.htm

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brian_h_nielsen/halloween/hw1.htm

   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/brian_h_nielsen/Halloween/hw1.htm

   The first pair should get to my home page, the second pair to my Halloween
contest entry.  From my work IE, only the second and third link work.

   Can anyone reproduce and confirm any of this?  I don't have a different
browser to test with, so I don't know how they react.  (It also doesn't make
sense to me that URL case sensitivity or default home page identification
should be browser dependent or impacted by the firewall.)

Brian

In lugnet.build, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
  I've had no trouble viewing it with IE4.0, but I've changed it quickly just
now.  If it's still off it'll have to wait until after work.

Brian

In lugnet.build, Bram Lambrecht writes:
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 06:41:30 GMT Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu>