 General / 810
809  |  811
Subject:
Lego newspaper article
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:26:25 GMT

Shhh!

Hear that trickling sound?  That's the sound of a trademark being diluted.

My local newspaper, the South Bend Tribune, took samples of the year's hot
toys to a nearby daycare center and ran a story on the kids' reactions.  Not
surprisingly, the 25th Anniversary Duplo bucket was a big hit.

The problem is that they were referred to as 'Legos' throughout the article,
instead of 'Lego' or 'Lego bricks' or some other non-generic term.  I wasn't
surprised that the word "Legos" appeared in the direct quote from the daycare
worker, but the reporter (and editor, for that matter) didn't bother to use the
proper term in the remainder of the article.  Even the subtitle said something like
"Barbie may be the Queen, but she sits on a throne of Legos."

It just kinda ticked me off a little bit, so I thought I'd share this tidbit with the
group.

Chad