 General / 7075
7074  |  7076
Subject:
Road baseplates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:12:55 GMT

Has anyone ever counted how many styles of road
baseplate are in existence?

When I first came out of the dark ages I thought there
were two: The new green ones and the old grey ones. I quickly
gathered this was incorrect  in that there were at least 2 styles
of grey ones - one with a green stripe along the pavements and one with
a tan stripe.  The ones with the green stripe have a wider stud-free area
(18, as opposed to 16 on the new green road plates) but the green stripes
match up fine if you put the baseplates next to each other. I was too late
coming out of the dark ages to pick up grey roadplates as sets
- all my grey ones came in 4532 level crossings.

Then there's the runway plates: I used to assume there's one type, as
exemplified by the 6339 shuttle launch pad. Then this week I acquired
a 6396 International Jetport and discovered that's not correct either: The
baseplate in the shuttle launch pad isn't an airport runway. The stud-free
area is the same width (18 studs) but the grey area is painted wider.

Then there's ones with islands - like the incredibly wide road in the
6337 Pit Stop(? Not certain of the US name), which markings of which
match very well with the 6339 baseplate markings. (Have either of these
plates appeared in any other set?)

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com