 General / 6938
6937  |  6939
Subject:
Gasoline prices (was: Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:59:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:27:35 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
BTW, everyone tries to rip off Californians, including other Californians.
Need anyone mention the evil oil companies? Okay, I will. The price of gas
in the states is averages somewhere $1.15 - $1.25 a gallon but here in the
SF Bay Area is around $1.80 per gallon of 89 octane, cheap by European
standards though.

It's nothing to do with ripping people off, it's the overall local prices.
IIRC The Bay Area has the *highest* cost of living in the entire 48
contiguous states.

Right now, gas prices are sucking in MI--they're hanging around $1.25/gal
for 87 octane (that's 'bout 0.33USD/liter for the cheap stuff, if anyone
cares).

I'm amazed by how much the price of gasoline in the U.S. has fallen in the
past two decades.

As far as I can remember, it's remained roughly steady at around ~US$.95 to
~US$1.40 per gallon since at least 1985, which was about when I started
paying attention.  The highest price I ever actually remember seeing once
was $1.449 per gallon in 1985 or 1986.

Given the roughly steady price relative to the CPI, the price has actually
dropped over time -- just like LEGO has.  Absolutely amazing!

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.fun]