 Off-Topic / Fun / 2682
Re: Gasoline prices (was: Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:49:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:27:35 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
BTW, everyone tries to rip off Californians, including other Californians.
Need anyone mention the evil oil companies? Okay, I will. The price of gas
in the states is averages somewhere $1.15 - $1.25 a gallon but here in the
SF Bay Area is around $1.80 per gallon of 89 octane, cheap by European
standards though.

It's nothing to do with ripping people off, it's the overall local prices.
IIRC The Bay Area has the *highest* cost of living in the entire 48
contiguous states.

Right now, gas prices are sucking in MI--they're hanging around $1.25/gal
for 87 octane (that's 'bout 0.33USD/liter for the cheap stuff, if anyone
cares).

I'm amazed by how much the price of gasoline in the U.S. has fallen in the
past two decades.

As far as I can remember, it's remained roughly steady at around ~US$.95 to
~US$1.40 per gallon since at least 1985, which was about when I started
paying attention.  The highest price I ever actually remember seeing once
was $1.449 per gallon in 1985 or 1986.

Given the roughly steady price relative to the CPI, the price has actually
dropped over time -- just like LEGO has.  Absolutely amazing!

--Todd

I actually find this conversation somewhat humorous in that we in the US can
complain about our gas prices.  Anywhere else in the world we would be paying
the equivalent of $5 per gallon or more!!!

It is funny (Thats funny-wierd not funny-haha) that we often complain about
prices of just about anything in the US where elsewhere in the world things
tend to cost alot more because of the strength of the dollar and our current
strong economy.

All things are relative I suppose but sometimes it is good to take a worldly
view of things and you get a totally different perspective on things.

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by e-mail.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.fun]