 General / 6454
Re: Lego Jargon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:34:24 GMT

If a word has more than one meaning, there is no name for this occurence. It
is just a word with different meanings. However...

If two words have the same spelling and different meanings, that is a homonym
or a homograph, but never a homophone.

Homonyms are pronounced alike, spelled alike, and defined differently.
Homographs are pronounced differently, spelled alike, and defined differently.
Homophones are pronounced alike, spelled differently, and defined differently.

Ben Gatrelle

(1)What make one word different from another word is it's etymology, or the
study of its derivation.

In lugnet.general, David Leese writes:

*  "MOC" _may_ first have appeared as part of the "LEGO Geek Code" • created
   by Derek Schin and others, but I'm not sure whether that is truly its
   origin.

When I see MOC in lcad now-a-days I always think it's a mock-up of a part.
One that is not quite finished for voting, but usefull enough to fill in • the
space in your model.  I never thought of it as My Own Creation before :)
What is the word for when definitions change or new words are created?  (I
know I've seen it somewhere before :)

I can't answer your query, but I've recently left my Lego Dark Ages after
a spell in the toy (action figure) collectors' field.  Anyway, in those
circles
MOC stands for Mint On Card - a description of the condition of an
action figure straight from the shop.

So what's the word for when words have more than one meaning?

David Leese