 General / 6254
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 23:00:26 GMT

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 14:47:01 GMT, John Gerlach uttered the following
profundities...
They have pieces stored in bulk in their warehouse.  They wouldn't have to
count them to fill orders, fill the order by *weight*.  Have some sort of
disclaimer in the catalog saying something like "If you order 100 of
something, you might get 98, you might get 102."  Use a scale with built-in
'parts counting' functionality.  It would take less than a minute to weigh out
one item.  Dump them in plastic bags, slap a label on the bag, and go on to
the next item.

The pieces *are* done by weight.

Most of the parts I had requested were in multiples of 100.
For instance, of the 4 lots of 1000 2x4's I had ordered, I
had received 998 twice, 999 once. The 1000 2x2 columns were 1003 actually.
I had also ordered 100 of each type of arch, for which arrived
102 or 103 of each.

Most parts arrived in the quantities requested. Some were
less, but a greater proportion of types ordered had extra than
less.

My eternal gratitude to Sanjay.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888