 General / 6129
6128  |  6130
Subject:
Town Project (was Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:56:41 GMT

Greg Majewski <citrusx__@yahoo.com> wrote in message
there?  Heh heh.. That sound like a great idea.. BTW: I CAN NOT wait to • see
your city when it's done, Sanjay. I have been trying to imagine one of the
scale you described, but I can't picture one

I didn't really want to say anything public till it was completed but me
being me I just had to go and put my foot in my mouth.  I've basically spent
the last year building up my Town collection to the state it is now (220
sets).  I'm going for quality not quantity.  To date there have been about
440 Town sets released since 1978 but I don't intend to ever get near that
number because at the end of the day I don't need 8 police stations, 34 fire
stations and so on.

The only sub theme I've indulged in is town houses.  Approx 12 have been
released and thanks to the help of so many great AFOL's online I've been
able to nail all of them including <enters showoff mode>  #1854 (Velux Town
House).

Being in the unique situation of not having to buy Town accessory sets I was
able to have greater flexibilty in deciding how to improve the look of the
city.  The 1000 trees provide a "barrier" between and around the suburb and
theme park as well as being "sprinkled" around other parts of the city.
Flowers and smaller shrubs will also be used in gardens, around the theme
park and botanic gardens and in some other parts of the city.

The only goal of this project is to showcase all the great LEGO Town sets
released over the years.  This means 95% of the city will be built from
existing sets.  With my lack of creative horsepower the only MOC's will be
the Town scale high rise towers, harbour and a few other bits and pieces.
It's the bits and pieces that will take some time to create ie lamp posts,
bus stops, garden fences, park benches, civic centre, traffic signs and so
on.

Some people may choke and the following statement but the paradisa sets
certainly have their uses and I'll be using about 10 sets in various areas
around the city particularly in the theme park.

This will mean that the city will have bus stations, post offices,
restaruants, banks, stadiums, coast guards, public works centres, car yards,
road side assistance services, chocolate factories, hospitals, car parks,
cafes, airports, pizzerias, truck stops, town houses, cargo centres, theme
parks, petrol stations, bike shops, garages BUT very few Town Jr sets.  In a
way it's a message to TLG to get their act together and return to the kind
of Town sets that graced that range in years past.

Most of the sets are now assembled and are kept undercover away from dust.
All I now need is time to assemble the harbour (5x5 baseplates in size and
hence the 4600 blue tiles) and the Football stadium.

So in closing this project is about me doing something I've wanted to do for
a very, very long time.  Thanks to the generosity of not only LEGO NZ but
the good people of RTL/LUGNET I'm very close to completing the project.  The
city itself is 18x9 roadplates in size.  Certainly not the biggest but one
that will keep me busy for some time yet.

Original completion date was July but the delay in receiving the final bulk
orders and with me being away from home means that September will hopefully
be the month.

Sanjay