 General / 5872
Re: Counterfeit Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:16:06 GMT

Rufus T. Falkenstein wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:

With all this recent talk about Cellulose Acetate Lego (made 1956-63 in
Europe, 1961-64 in USA), a few people were wondering if they had
counterfeit bricks.  Most what people thought were counterfeit, were
actually Cellulose Acetate.  But that does beg the question "have any
non-Lego bricks ever been made WITH the Lego logon stamped on them?"  I
was just wondering.  I know that a lot of Lego look-alikes exist, but
they all omit the "Lego" name.  Has anyone ever seen a true counterfeit
brick?

Gary Istok

i happen to have some lego bricks in absolutly weird colors. never knew
where they come from until a fellow collector told me that he has a
friend who is working at a company that made the machines and mold. and
they did lots of testing bricks of which a few were taken out of that
company. to bad that i threw away all the strange bricks.
what do you think? are that bricks counterfeit bricks, clones or real
lego?

rufus t.

Since I also collect coins, the name coin collectors use for trial pieces
from genuine dies are "pattern" pieces ("muster" in German).  That is
different from counterfeit, which are "unauthorized" pieces from fake dies.

Even pattern pieces may have questionable origins.  They could be test
(authorized) pattern strikes secretly taken out of the factory, or
unauthorized strikes made by an employee when no one was looking, then
secretly taken out of the factory.  Neither of these 2 conditions (in the
area of coin collecting) qualifies as counterfeits.

Also, in coin collecting, pattern pieces are highly collectible, and command
a premium price.  I would bet that these pieces (in colors not currently used
by Lego) would command premium prices.  (I would pay good money for Lego made
in odd colors from genuine dies.)

Hope this helps clarify "counterfeit".

Gary Istok