 General / 56137
56136  |  56138
Subject:
It's been ruminating...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2013 01:32:18 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

See, here's my problem, and I really haven't pinned it down concretely--it's
kinda nebulous...

However, the reason why I loved--i mean LOVED--LUGNET, (in the day) was that it
was (mostly) all-encompassing of the hobby.

LUGNET was the 1-stop shopping for ALL things LEGO (yes, there was the original
schism with Bionicle and I hope that those that shunned that so thoroughly that
BZPower had to start have learned at least something by that ill-conceived
hatred... but I digress)

And, overall, LUGNET wasn't elitist.  If you were here, you didn't have to feel
inferior or that you weren't worthy of the hobby.  People were welcoming (except
in that rtlToronto forum, but again, digression ;) )

And, truly and honestly, I feel like that all-encompassing 'where everybody
knows your name', 'comfortable like an old sweater' website is missing in just
about every other LEGO related website that I visit, specifically in what seems
to be the 'go to' site these days--BrothersBrick.

I mean it started a few years back with 'well, that's a fantastic build but the
photography isn't up to OUR standards' so we're not putting it here.

Really?  The build is phenom, but because the builder wasn't a professional
photog with 12 gigapixel camera--oh well...

There were other vague references to 'we're elite and that's just not worthy
enuf for us' almost arrogant-type behaviour--is like the Alice Cooper scene in
Waynes World--'we're not worthy!' and he holds out his pinky ring for them to
kiss.  That scene was ironic and humourous.  What I'm feeling sometimes from
these sites is not.

I'm sorry, but as the '70's used to say, 'Where do you get off???'

(for those that didn't get that reference, it's a '70's thing....)

And I don't want to single BB out here--as I said, mostly all LEGO related sites
these days are exclusionary.  I know that there are so many 'specific theme'
websites--this isn't a rant about that.  This is a rant about new builders, or
even great builders in one theme trying their hands at another and really can't
get anywhere because of the 'in' ppl saying that the stuff isn't good 'nuff and
get it off the message boards!!

I've always loved this hobby because of the variety, not only in themes and
styles, but also in talent.  I've been inspired by the 'giants', but also by the
6 yr old who shows up with 10 bricks she worked hard at putting together.  It
might be nothing to you, oh elite builder, but to her, and to me, it's the most
ultra-awe inspiring build and people should take it as such.

LEGO should inspire, not segregate.
LEGO should build dreams, not schisms
LEGO should open opportunities, not slam inspiration

I'm not saying to anyone that they need to change their publishing policies or
publish anything that comes across their plate.  What I am saying is that, in
your decision making methods, what shouldn't be said, at least on the public
side, 'Well, that's just not up to our standards--we only show 'ultra-fantastic'
stuff and your stuff don't cut it'.  Because, again, who the *beep* are you?

Anyway, as I say, it's not concrete and not all-encompassing.  I'm asking that,
just once in a while, we check our own egos at the door and look at stuff that,
whilst we might not think it's up to our standards, just may be something that's
extraordinary to the person that built it.  That's the important bit.

It's always difficult on the internet to convey exactly what you mean (as I'm
noting with this post), and it's sometimes difficult to convey proper
constructive criticism to people such that they take it as intended.  Because
something is difficult means you should really put some effort into it.

Anyway,

Dave K