 General / 56038
56037  |  56039
Subject:
Unknown Japanese LEGO Sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:40:24 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

A Japanese acquaintance of mine... Yashihiro Kondo... has left me gasping...
there's a whole other world of LEGO out there... this time sold in Japan from
1970-78!

It is called OLO... and it was produced during the identical time that Minitalia
was sold in Italy (1970-78).  I think that the introduction of both was more
than a coincidence!  They both used the "X" bottom LEGO patent that LEGO used
for Minitalia.

It is this type with the "X" bottoms that was used in Italy (with non-ABS
plastic) for Minitalia bricks, and also (with ABS plastic) in Japan for OLO
bricks.  These Japanese bricks also have hollow studs.

TLG licensed the Fujisho Co. of Japan to produce and sell these sets.  However,
the OLO catalogs also show regular LEGO parts packs available (imported).

LEGO was first sold in Japan in 1962... but it was slow in expanding its'
markets there.  This scenario is similar to other imported products... lack of
distribution network, and also a hesitation on the part of Japanese for imported
products.

So from 1970-78 TLG tried to get greater penetration of the Japanese market with
OLO sets... which were about only 1/2 the cost of regular LEGO sets.

See my thread about this (along with a few of the over 20 OLO images I have)
here....
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81168

There are a whole new range of parts and sets that will need to be added to
online databases... because unlike the Minitalia parts... these OLO parts are
made out of ABS plastic... and the hollow studs do have a backwards "K" type
design at the bottom of the hollow studs... the Japanese symbol for OLO.

I spent a few weeks on this and a few other new LEGO chapters for my LEGO DVD
download... still available in Lugnet Buy-Sell-Trade Marketplace.  One of the
other new LEGO chapters is on the pre-history figures (Minifigs) in LEGO
(1955-82).  Current LEGO DVD download owners will get the new updates for free
in a few months when they have been released.  Also added about 50 new images of
old sets, and unknown parts (such as classic windows in Orange!).

Cheers,
Gary Istok