 General / 54994
Re: Lego minifig timeline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 12:52:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:

snip

If memory serves, the yellow Classic Space minifig debuted in 1983, rather than
1978.  I will happily recant if I'm wrong, though.

Dave!

Far be it for me to disagree with the much smarter Dave!...  However, yellow
space dude debuted in '82 in the 6880 Surface Explorer and the 6950 Mobile
Rocket Transport

This is exactly why America secretly hates Canada!  The nerve, correcting me
like that!  Hmf!

But now that I think of it, you're correct.  I first got a glimpse of the yellow
minifigs in a catalog that came with a set my friend Ted received for his
birthday in '82.  I remember that we all thought it was funny that the yellow
suits were the same color as the minifigs' skin, so they were effectively nude
in space (plus helmet and backpack and, presumably, a chest tattoo).

I received the first one for Christmas that very year, along with my favouritest
space set of all time, 6890 Cosmic Cruiser

I still don't own a 6950 yet--keep on getting outbid on eBay--grrr!!!

1982 is where I define for myself the 'end' of 'classic space'--after that it's
the blue/white futuron stuff--still exceptionally cool though...

On those rare occasions when I'm called upon to draw a fine distinction, I'd
likewise cite 1982.

Blue and Black dude look to be '84 when they made an appearance, but I could be
completely wrong on that...

Can't help you there, because my receipt of LEGO gifts had already become
sporadic and hit-or-miss by then, and I didn't yet have an income with which to
buy my own.  Darn this capitalist economy of ours, snuffing my pre-teen LEGO
purchasing power!

Dave!