 General / 54664
54663  |  54665
Subject:
Lego show on Treasure HD Network
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:41:55 GMT

So, we were in the living room last night, sort of watching our new HD "VOOM"
Dish channels-- particularly "Treasure HD". Not sure exactly what time, but
around 10pm ET or so? Give or take a couple hours, I'm not sure.

And they suddenly pop on a "show" (aka almost a commercial), whose name I don't
know featuring two Lego collectors. It was filmed in 2006, and showed "Jef" and
.. um... Darn, I forget the woman's name (his was apparently more memorable
considering he spelled it with a single "f" instead of two).

Anyway, it was done in the form of a game show-- which is cool, but also
particularly close to home for me, because I hosted what I think was the first
Lego "Game Show" at BrickFest 2004, in "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" style,
with assorted Lego trivia.

Before they did the contest, they briefly interviewed each contestant, and did
some little tidbits of history on Lego. Her collection seemed moderately
impressive, while his was reportedly "over 250 sets", which I kinda thought was
peanuts (my record is buying about 70 sets in 1 day, and I KNOW there are people
out there who have bought more than that-- and I've got just shy of 2400 sets).
So maybe he just didn't have any good stats on how big his collection was-- or
maybe he just didn't have a big collection!

In Round 1, they asked the contestants 9 questions, which were pretty easy by my
standards, but they scored something like 3/9 and 4/9. Then (Round 2) they had a
short building competition where they were each given the "ultimate house
building tub" sets. The woman built a fish, Jef built an airplane. She won both
rounds.

His "thanks-for-playing" prize was some Quatro set, since he was expecting a
baby sometime soon. Her prize was basically about $1000 worth of new Lego sets,
circa roughly 2006. Plus she got 4 tickets to Legoland California (although no
mention of airfare, hotels, etc).

Supposedly it was filmed in 2006, and was basically a glorified advertisement
for Lego, although it was admittedly interesting to watch, and fun to test
myself on their trivia.

DaveE

FUT .mediawatch