 General / 54231
Re: Do you care about the perception of AFOLs/ALEs in the wider community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:45:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
Hi all,

One issue which I see brought up on LUGNET quite frequently (mostly but not
exclusively in relation to trains) is the perception of AFOLs/ALEs by the
'wider' community (where wider has various meanings). So since I'm a curious
fellow I'd like to ask:

Do you care about the opinion of the 'wider' community? (and who do you mean by
'wider')?

Nope, I like building (OK, I'll correct that, I like the idea of building but
rarely get any done!) and I like talking about it with other AFOL (or KFOLS),
people who are interested. I have no interest in what other people think.

Would you like to see LEGO 'accepted' as a 'valid' hobby?

Again, it doesn't bother me. There are enough fans to have a viable discussion
group. The idea of public displays actually puts me off and if it wasn't the
only place that large train layouts get put together I'd have no reason to go.
My other hobby 'normal' railway modelling is accepted as a valid hobby, but
still is derided as being for weirdos most of the time. Now if I was into
football...

Why does it matter (or not matter)?

It matters not one jot. If there were less of us, or the internet didn't exist
then it might.

Tim

Another Tim