 General / 54228
Re: Do you care about the perception of AFOLs/ALEs in the wider community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 01:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
Hi all,

One issue which I see brought up on LUGNET quite frequently (mostly but not
exclusively in relation to trains) is the perception of AFOLs/ALEs by the
'wider' community (where wider has various meanings). So since I'm a curious
fellow I'd like to ask:

Do you care about the opinion of the 'wider' community? (and who do you mean by
'wider')?

Would you like to see LEGO 'accepted' as a 'valid' hobby?

Why does it matter (or not matter)?

Tim

People seem to think I am out of my mind when they see my Lego room.  When I was
building the room the neighbors would ask "What are you building, another
bedroom?"  I would say, "no, a Lego room."  At that point I got strange looks
and they would say something like "What a nice day today was or did you catch
the Dallas game?"  There just is no comprehension that adults play with Legos.
My wife's college class was over for a get together and the guys would say that
they had this or that set when they were young.  The women would look at my wife
with pity.  When I was in Burbank my apartment was broken into and it was wall
to wall Lego.  When the cop was leaving he stopped and said "what is all of this
stuff?"
It really does not matter to me what others think.  I don't know what a "valid
hobby is" as the Lego company uses the idea of a Lego "collection" in their
marketing.  I collect Simpsons stuff and movies and do needlework.  I get much
more disbelife when they say something like "your wife does nice work."  Most
people cannot imagine that a man does all the needlework.  A sort of built in
sexism for both men and women.
I must say that children that see the room are much more accepting of what they
are looking at.  The Effiel tower and the Darth Maul head are really big hits as
is the Harry Potter Target display.
Well thats my two cents.
John P