 General / 53536
Re: Lego Top Seller Data
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 00:55:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Meno wrote:
This is really fascinating to look at - I am surprised at the staying power
of Cafe Corner.

Actually, the inspiration for this little chart was Cafe Corner-- I wish I had
started gathering data just a couple days earlier, when Cafe Corner first
appeared on the list. I never expected it to last as long as as it has,
especially considering some of the other top sellers which have had a couple
weeks or so, then wandered back off the list.

Since I started gathering data (8 weeks ago now), Cafe Corner has been ranked on
average 8.6 (place-wise), which is the 6th highest of any of the sets that have
made it to the top 25. I've kept waiting for it to drop off the list, but
instead, it's gotten higher! It's now at the number 3 spot, which is higher than
it's ever gotten before!

But I'm also a little curious about what happened with the Hobby Train.

The Hobby Train had about a 10-day run on the top 25 list, which is pretty good,
actually. I keep having to remind myself of that-- even the lowest set in my
statistics STILL made it to the top 25 list, and that's significant!

http://24.39.12.58/~dave/cgi/top_sell_form.cgi?highlight=K10183&min_time=1173733324&max_time=1176263999&view=1

My guess is that the Hobby Train's sales probably more closely represent AFOL
purchasing, whereas Cafe Corner's sales probably represent sales from markets
other than just the frothing fans. But that's just a guess.

Unfortunately, the Top Seller data is the best data we in the fan community can
get. We have no way of knowing *how* well a set is selling. A 3rd place set
might be outselling the 4th place set by 1 copy, or by 10,000 copies. It's only
relative data. But it's still interesting nonetheless!

DaveE